News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tae Kwon Do, New Belts for Abigail and Helen

The anticipation had been building all week. I was going to test for my yellow belt on Friday, March 14, 2008. I was getting nervous and was not ready to get out on that red carpet in front of everyone. What would everyone think about that old fat woman testing for a Tae Kwon Do yellow belt? Reluctantly, I wrote the check and paid for Abigail and I both to test. Some of the mothers of the other children were very supportive and told me I could do it. My thoughts were all consumed with what are "they" going to think. The drive to Tae Kwon Do took forever. Unsure of what my kicking combos were, I drilled Abigail the whole way there. She was reassuring and told me I would do just fine.

Avoiding the red carpet I sat down for a little while talking with the other mothers.
They were encouraging me and said they would root me on. I found another distraction when I found out one of the students in the class was the son of a graduate from my high school. He and I caught up on over 35 years of our respective life stories. Abigail finally came for me and said it was time to warm up and practice my kicking combos. Before I knew it, the time had come for all students to line up. Our instructor, Mr. Wiggins, spoke to us asking how we were and reminding us of how hard we had worked the past two months. As a group we had to go through our drills of stretching splits, punches and leg lifts. We also seem to do a lot of sitting down and getting back up and sitting back down. By the time I get off the floor to stand the other students have already been up and down a couple of times. I just keep on going and doing the best I can. Doing your best is what is important.
These past two months have proven to me that I have more in me than I
thought. The strength in my legs and arms has gotten much stronger. I realized it the other day when I had to bend down to the bottom of the refrigerator and look for something that was all the way in the back. In the photo on the left I'm doing a butterfly stretch. When I was younger my knees would be touching the floor. I wonder how long it will take for me to be able to get my knees on the floor? I notice that I sleep better and have a livelier step. One of the reasons I signed up was to get in shape. I'll admit there are pains in my knees that I'm not to fond of. They'll get better the more I work.
After doing my white pattern before the Black belt judges it was time for those dreaded kicking combos. My partner was fellow student and parent, Chris. Side kick, side kick reverse punch. That means I have to kick sideways with the top of my foot and before I let my leg down to the floor I must kick once again all the while keeping my balance. Oh, man! Holding my legs up for that short amount of time seems like an eternity when I'm doing it! It was over before I knew it. Our group, white belts through purple belts were finished and now it was time to sit and watch the higher belts break their boards. It's amazing to watch those little kids break boards.

Abigail and I received our new belts. She is now a blue belt which means she gets sticks! She's very excited about that. I'm a yellow belt. There will be new patterns for each of us to learn. After it was all over I realized that while I was out on the red carpet I wasn't thinking about what everybody thought about me. I was concentrating on what I needed to do. I really did enjoy the evening. I shook the hands of my instructors and told them I had enjoyed it. I felt it from the bottom of my heart.

Self defense, self confidence and exercise were why I signed up. I've gained them all and it feels good. You're never to old and you can teach an old dog new tricks! The embarrassment I felt before is gone. I'm doing something good for myself. Now, what's keeping you from doing something you've wanted to do?

2 comments:

LizardTales said...

way to go girl!! not sure i can do those stretches...

YOU DID IT!!!

Liz

The Denson's said...

Your kicking partner is proud of you for doing this with Abigail! Shows you have True courage, strength, & love!