News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Hospice

I visited with the caregiver today as my patient was sleeping. It is the art of small talk that makes things go smoothly. You listen, you laugh, you share your own stories and it all comes together to give the family some respite from the day to day living.

My job as a volunteer is not to change their lives or circumstances but, it is to give comfort for the long days ahead. Caring for a loved one who is in their last days can be all consuming. There is no rest for your body or your mind. The diversions of a volunteer are welcome relief.

Today as I was leaving the caregiver hugged me and thanked me for making them feel better. It is rewarding to know that simple gestures and small talk can make a difference in someone's life.

Hospices across America need your help. If you feel uncomfortable sitting with a patient perhaps you could volunteer in their office. I'm sure they could find a way to use the talents you have. Consider volunteering your time.

I came away today feeling encouraged.

No comments: