News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Tae Kwon Do

This photo of Abigail was taken on February 20, 2008. She's a purple belt, which is hard to see in this dark photo and with her wearing her blue suit. We usually take an adult class together and the other classes she takes with her peers. Taking classes with her peers she is able to spar. As a white belt I don't spar, yet!

I'm still alive! Through all the aches and pains of being an "older" student I can feel myself becoming stronger. Tonight (Friday, February 29th) we had to partner up. I partnered with a lady who is a black belt. She is shorter and not a heavy lady like myself. Oh, man! She does have power is that small body. We were partners a couple of weeks ago. Using the chest pad we did side kicks. I was in a back stance ready to take her kick. Knowing she was a black belt I felt sure she could kick pretty hard. That first kick knocked me back three feet. I was so surprised! She thought I was hurt. I explained that I wasn't hurt just shocked that she could kick so hard!

Tonight we used the chest pad again. We had to punch, punch and then hit with our elbow. While doing these punches we had to walk down the length of the red carpet and do it again back down the carpet. By the time I got to the end I was breathing heavy. Then, it was her turn. Down and back. It's easy to hold the pad. The next round was punch, punch, elbow hit and then a knee kick. When the knee comes up you grab your partners shoulder/shirt and pull them to you as you kick. While kicking you must make sure your knee is high and that your foot does not dangle. No dangle of the foot means someone else doesn't sweep with their foot and knock you down. Down the red carpet we go. The first pass had me winded and worn out. I was oblivious to what everyone else was doing. I wasn't conscious about how I looked. I only wanted to finish the drill. I thought each step, each punch and kick would be my last. My mouth was like the arid land of the desert! I need to practice breathing through the nose, and out through the mouth. The next drill was less exhausting! We started with the chest pad. We had to use a knife hand strike (open hand, fingers together and strike with the outside edge of the hand), then a ridge hand strike ( open hand, thumb tucked inside and strike with the inside or meaty part of the hand). Those pads seem mighty hard. Our last drill would be much easier!! Our partner held an old x-ray paper. We had to do a knife hand strike, ridge hand strike, spin and do another knife hand strike all while walking the red carpet! We did all these drills in about 30 minutes. The last sequence of strikes I lost my balance and went tumbling towards the wall. My partner was grabbing for me while I was reaching for the rails on the wall. Thankfully, I never hit the floor. I did not come out unscathed! There is injury to my big toe on my right foot. At the time I thought I may have jammed it a little. Now, 4 hours later I'm not sure. It's starting to hurt and uncomfortable to walk. The pain is moving up to the rest of my foot. Abigail has gone to the kitchen to get me some ice to put on it. Hmmm! I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments: