News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Tennessee Wildflowers and The Kudzu Band




















Tonight Abigail and I went to see The Tennessee Wildflowers and The Kudzu Band. The Wildflowers are Dianna Ford, and sisters, Cathy Walls and Jeannie Gentry. The Kudzu Band was Royal Morehead, Craig Yarbrough and Jeannie Gentry. They played at the Square Beans Coffee Shop on the square in Collierville. It was our first time to see them play as a group.

For me the drive to Collierville was full of memories. Brent and I and the kids used to drive to Collierville on Friday nights for the weekly bluegrass pickin'. We would stay on the square on Friday nights until very late. I'd bring a cooler with drinks and snacks for the kids. I always brought pillows, blankets and a chase lounge in case Abigail needed a nap. The kids would always ask, "When are we going home?" My answer was always the same, "When Daddy gets finished pickin'. " Brent at one time or another had picked, sang or was in a band with with all those who were in the band tonight.

We arrived at the coffee shop before the group started playing. We greeted the group and other MABA friends. Abigail and I decided to treat ourselves. She ordered a Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie which was very good. We shared a Chocolate Truffle! Yummy! I ordered coffee which was very smooth.

How would I describe the music of The Tennessee Wildflowers? It's a mix of gospel, rock 'n roll Elvis, bluegrass, country, old timey and Appalachian music with a bluesy jazz sound. I enjoyed their choice of songs, many of which are not performed by local bands. Dianna does a great job of singing harmony with Jeannie and Cathy. Cathy has a powerful voice. Someone heard Cathy singing at the Williston Festival and ask me if that girl singing was from Nashville.

My friend, Betty Westmoreland, is so good about listening to a band, while writing down their song set and reviewing the bands she listens to. Betty I cheated and asked Dianna for their song set. I feel sure they sang most of the songs on the list, but with a few changes.

Here is a list of the songs: Set 1 - Love Me Darlin' Just Tonight, All I Ever Loved Was You, Blues Stay Away From Me, Can't Even Get The Blues, Coal Mining Man, Meet By The Moonlight, I'm blue/I'm Lonesome, Sea Of Regret, Six Hours On The Cross, One More River To Cross, Today I Started Loving You Again, Old Chunk Of Coal, Don't Be Cruel, Tear My Stillhouse Down, The Sun Will Never Set Again. Set 2 - Can't You Hear Me Callin', Daddy Sing Bass, Working On A Building, Crazy Heart, Southern Moon, I Saw Your Face In The Moon, Little Darlin', West Virginia, Dark As The Night, Sing, Sing, Sing, Barbed Wire And Roses, If That's The Way You Feel, Standing In The Need Of Prayer, No One Will Ever Know, Heartaches And Teardrops, Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross. Optional songs - I'll Never Grow Tired Of You, Precious Lord, Take My Hand, You Don't Have To Move That Mountain, Where The Soul Of Man Never Dies, Say Won't You Be Mine.




















Left to right: Mike "Buzz" Busby, Craig Yarbrough, Royal Morehead, Jeannie Gentry, Cathy Walls, Dianna Ford, and Steve Craig. Mike, Royal Jeannie and Dianna were the original members of Brent's band Loosahatchie Grass. Steve is also a former member of Loosahatchie Grass. Randal Morton, not shown, was also an original member of Loosahatchie Grass.

I was happy to see so many of my friends at the coffee shop.

Not someone you'd expect to see, some of us caught a glimpse of actor, Steven Seagal who lives in the Memphis area, peeking in the window. Someone said he was taking a look at Royal's guitar.

Another local favorite band, "Deep Hollow" was playing at Otherlands tonight. I couldn't see both of them and had to pick. I'll see you guys down the road at another show.












I'll add more video clips to this post. They take a long time to upload, even with DSL. That's why I only take 10-25 second video clips.

No comments: