News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Doug and Jo






















God is awesome. He does hear the cries of the widow. I was feeling teary eyed for a couple of days and needed someone to converse with. There are friends I can call, but I was busy and the timing was never right.

You remember that I wrote about going to the dealership on Tuesday to have the cam sensor replaced. After I left the dealership I had intended to go straight home. I was driving down the highway and looked over to my left and noticed Scottie's hair salon. It was then I decided to get a haircut. When I walked in the young lady at the counter said I would have to wait at least an hour and a half. I was willing to wait. She asked me if I had any errands to run. No, I had my Route 44 Cherry Limeade and my book. I would sit and wait for the first available hair dresser.

I sat down and was getting comfortable and taking in all the activity in the salon. Scottie was with a customer, there were some ladies getting color while others were getting cuts. In the corner I noticed Barry, a hair dresser, talking with someone. Barry had cut Brent's hair for several years and he also cuts Samuel's hair. Brent had conversations with Barry about his leukemia. It was Barry who offered a gift from Scottie's hair salon for the Brent-A-Fit fundraiser for Brent. As Barry and this other fellow talked I heard a familiar voice. I looked at this fellow and realized I knew him. I waited for a break in their conversation. I asked him is your name Doug? I introduced myself and he remembered me. I had not seen Doug and his wife Jo, for over 20 years. Jo was the customer having her hair done by Scottie.

Doug asked how Brent was doing. He had not heard about Brent's death. I gave him a quick overview of the circumstances surrounding Brent's diagnosis, treatment and death. Doug shared about the death of his father. Doug shared many Bible verses with me and consoled me. We talked for about 30 minutes. I asked Doug where he and Jo were living. They live about 35 minutes from here. Jo has been having her haircut at Scotties for many years. What are the chances that I would see them at Scottie's?

You may say it was fate or coincidence. I say, it was God hearing my cries for someone to talk with.

No comments: