
Tonight (Tuesday) I went to see and hear "Deep Hollow Bluegrass" play at Young's Deli. The band plays the kind of bluegrass I like to hear. Traditional with a contemporary sound. The band consist of Bobby Williams-banjo, Steve Craig-upright bass, Lee Fiorinelli-fiddle, Matt Crockett-guitar and Jason Hayes-mandolin. I have only recently met Bobby and Jason. My husband, Brent, was in two bands with Steve. The first was Brush Arbor, Brent played guitar and Steve played bass. The second was

Brent's band, Loosahatchie Grass. Steve played bass and Brent played mandolin and some guitar. Steve is one of the hardest working bluegrassers around. He plays in two bands, Deep Hollow and Single Tree. He also plays with other bands when they need a fill in bass player. Brent picked with Lee at local pickin's. In July of 2002 Matt was playing at a local jam the first night Brent went to hear bluegrass. Matt was playing with 3 other guys that Tuesday night. Brent was on fire when he came home from that pickin'. The next Tuesday night I went with Brent and we stood there for 3 hours listening to Matt and these other guys play. Several months ago I drove nearly two hours to listen to Deep Hollow play in Como, MS. It was the first time I'd heard them play. I spent most of the night with tears in my eyes. The songs they played were the ones Brent sang all the time. Tonight I enjoyed the show and shed no tears. They sang 'How Mountain Girls Can Love', 'Rough Edges', 'When You Go Wakin' After Midnight', some of my favorites that Brent sang. It felt good to have happy memories of Brent. Thank you Deep Hollow. I look forward to seeing and hearing them again.
To hear samples of their music visit: http://www.myspace.com/deephollow63


No comments:
Post a Comment