News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Memories Bring Sadness and Joy
























This photo of Brent and Samuel was taken in February 1994. Samuel liked to be involved in everything Brent was doing.

Brent. I think about him everyday. I watch a movie and remember the first time we saw it together. Commercials bring back memories of our making fun of them, as well as the food I prepare. He could pick the best midnight snacks. I catch myself speaking of him in the present tense. Do I say "my" children or "our" children? He "liked" not he "likes" or some such phrase comes to mind. For several months after his death all I could see were imagines of him his hospital room. Now, my mind goes to happy and pleasant thoughts of him. Sadness washes over me and makes me feel so alone. Alone? Oh, I'm not alone. My children are always near and there are friends to call. Thankfully, I am an optimistic person and the sadness does not stay for long.

Last Sunday the kids and I went to a Sorghum Hill band practice. Tim, the banjo player was ill and they asked Samuel to come and play banjo. It was a great afternoon. Phil, lead singer and guitar player, had written three songs inspired by Brent. He sang them for me. Oh, I cried and it felt so good to cry. The songs are beautiful. The bands latest CD has been dedicated to Brent. One dollar for each CD sold will be donated to the Leukemia Society. They loved Brent so much and miss him.

No comments: