News and Updates

All previous slide shows are at the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Wild Cherries

One summer Brent asked me if I would like to make some wild cherry jelly. Why would he ask me that you ask? He knew I liked canning. He also knew I enjoyed giving homemade jellies at Christmas time. With no hesitation I said yes. He offered to pick them and to help me pit them. Brent trekked off to the back of the property with a one gallon ice cream bucket. About an hour later he returned with a full gallon of pea sized wild cherries. I had a big smile of my face. It was so sweet of him to think of the idea and to me, it was romantic. He always did say I was a low maintenance wife! Living off the land, making do, and not spending much money on food or entertainment appeals to me. We stood in the kitchen and washed the cherries and pitted them. We talked about his adventure. Some of those cherries were high in the trees and hard to get, he walked in bramble, and all that picking only gave us a gallon. We talked about how good that wild cherry jelly would taste. We stood side by side and talked about other things as well. I made the jelly and came out with one case of 12 jars either 6 or 8 ounce jars. I gave a few to friends and we ate the rest. When I pulled out that last jar of wild cherry jelly I remembered what a pleasant time we had. Today I still remember what a wonderful day that was.

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24

No comments: